French IV Honors - Mme. Andrea
Last Updated: Sep 18, 2014
Some terms to understand: secularism, laïcité, burqa, voile intégral.
- The concept of laïcité in France
The idea of secularism, or laïcité in French, is a guiding principle in the legal discussion of the ban.
- Secularism and Religious Freedom
A brief explanation from France.fr ("The official website of France").
- How the French Promotion of Secularism Offers a Cautionary Lesson for Quebec
A September, 2013 article from The Globe and Mail, a Toronto, Canada newspaper. The Canadian province of Quebec is currently considering enacting a similar ban on religious symbols in public places like schools, government offices, and hospitals.
- French Secularism - Laïcité
This article from a wiki traces the concept in depth.
- France Unveils Controversial 'Secularism Charter'
A September, 2013 article from The Telegraph, a British newspaper.
- Quebec reveals religious symbols to be banned from public sector
A September, 2013 article from The Globe and Mail about the Quebec government's proposed ban similar to the one in France. Debate there is ongoing.
Read these articles to get an overview of the topic.
Read these articles in French after you understand the topic, as they will enhance the depth of your understanding and facilitate your fluency in French on this topic.